Frangible Masts for WDI and Weather Observation
- Support structures for wind direction indicators, transmissometers and forward scatter meters should be tested for frangibility in accordance with procedures for approach lighting towers.
Exel poles and lattice masts have been full scale impact tested to verify compliance with frangibility ruling.
To support wind cones both types can be applied:
To use pole or lattice type is subject to the size of the cone. Wind cone masts are supplied as complete assemblies with wind cone and obstruction light or as a frangible support only. Two configurations are available:
- Externally illuminated wind cone
- Internally illuminated wind cone
For anemometers lattice masts are used in most cases:
- standard height 10 m, supplied as centre or base hinged configuration
- other heights are available upon request
- Standard colouring scheme is orange/white in seven sections, as specified in Annex 14. Other colouring schemes are available upon request.